Thursday, February 3, 2011

Where to Begin?

I am an ordinary person.  Very ordinary.  Some people think some of the things I've done are extraordinary; but that's only because they've never done these things, and in their minds they've created impossible ideals of who can do these things.

In comparison to friends of mine, who have gotten books published, or who have followed their dreams into comics, or who have the charisma to start community outreach groups, I am extremely ordinary and very unadventurous.

So why a blog about myself?

Part of it stems from the fact that I have a poor short-term memory, the result of a combination of physical injury and neurological issues that have since been resolved but which left their indelible mark on my brain.  Things crop up in my long-term memory that serve to delight me on recalling them, and I don't want to risk losing them again.  In addition as my parents age, I realise that without a record of some sort I'll lose all their stories, and their families' stories, if I don't write them down.

So the blog isn't about me, per se (that one's for you, Hanabi).  It's about the peculiar set of circumstances and genetics and social situations that served to produce my family (and me), in the hope that one day I'll feel brave enough to share my blethering with my family and we can all have a good laugh about the oddball family that we all recognise ourselves to be.

And if you're not a part of my family but you get a giggle out of reading some of our stories, that would be just fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment